Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Vain, Pride, conceit, or just plain self conscious

Hello friends

I have been thinking a lot lately about pride I was thinking is pride a bad think or a good thing, you see and I am sure most of you know that I really had no self-confidence in myself for a long time I thought I was to fat, shy and had an ugly face but that all changed one day when I was looking in the mirror (I never liked to look in the mirror) I though Man sandy you are looking hot today and I told myself that same thing all day and guess what that day I got the most compliments on my appearance even though I was wearing the same clothes I had warren dozens of times before. So does telling yourself your pretty a bad thing or a good thing? once I gained self confidence I came to be a lot more outgoing I would not stop and tell myself don't talk to that person they wouldn't like you because you are unlikable instead I was just being myself and not caring what others thought. This all brings me to my original question is pride bad or good. I looked up the meanings of the words in my title and here is what I found.

VAIN= Excessively proud of one's appearance or accomplishments Aka,conceit

PRIDE=A sense of one's proper dignity or value; self respect

PRIDE2= Arrogance; conceit

SELF RESPECT= Due respect for one's self

SELF CONSCIOUS=Aware of one's self

CONCEIT=An unruly high opinion of oneself

So after I looked these up I had to look at them for a long time to determine if they were bad or good and I am still not all the way sure.Pride can be a good thing but it also can be a bad thing if one has to much pride and thinks himself better the everyone else in that case pride is bad but if one is proud about who they are as a person it is a good thing. So don't worry I promise you all that I won't get to puffed up about myself but I do think I am pretty in my own special way that way is the way God made me. For I am fearfully and wonderfully made

please feel free to tell me if I made a mistake after all that's how we learn is from our own and others mistakes. sanny

6 comments:

landlooker said...

Very good Sandy, We all need Pride in a certain amount, how we look at ourselves, how we make decisions, what we do all day. It is important being a christian that we have pride. You see, we use our pride in ourselves, to always make the right decisions concerning, just about everything. You think,"God made me better than doing that, and he wouldn't want me doing that." That is pride, pride in our job as a christian in the world. Knowing our own inner beauty,"as Emily's writing say's" is very important. And remember Sandy, You have a killer smile, and a very interesting way of looking at things, that can make you interesting to everyone you meet. I know I have a hard time with self image, and self worth, it is just a part of living that we deal with every day.

Anonymous said...

I think that you hot the mark as in pride isn't bad, but if you get to the point of conceit or your second definition of pride that would be 'bad.' Having self respect and thinking you are beautiful wouldn't be bad, it's keeping that from turning into vanity that's hard. I don't think God created us to look in the mirror and constantly be brought down (especially for women) and have no self esteem. Women do need to feel attractive. Just not be vain!

OK, sorry for writing a letter on your blog. Love you baby! You are a hot babe, though, you know. ; ) (not to mention you can read) lol

~Norah

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh.... um "hit the mark" lol

Emily said...

I think pride is very imortant. If you dont have enough it makes you constantly self concious and you end up being to insecure with yourself to get anything done. If you have to much it can make you vain and stuck up, that turns people away. Its somewhere right in the middle that you want to be. People are often attracted to people that are secure in themselves just the way they are, no matter how they look. This is something I had to learn for myself
~Ems

landlooker said...

The more I think about it, it is a delicate balance of pride and respect.

Mary Ellen said...

Hey Sandy,Gee you brought up a subject that everyone struggles with. I think you're right on the money. I guess when I think of pride I think of it as being a good thing. Having self respect is an extream necessity. Hey look up Dignity! I've been trying to figure out how a person can acheive this. Hmmmmm.
Well I'll talk to you soon... and girl as you already know, you are beautiful! :)
~Mary